Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Non-meat restaurants (seafood ok) and visit to Mayerling

Hello...my husband and I do not eat meat (surprise since I am 50% Austrian and 50% German! I must try wiener schnitzel in honor of my heritage). We do eat fish and seafood. I have read about a few places that serve fish or seafood (Dalmatia; Le Salzgreis) on this site, but does anyone have any additional suggestions? My husband loves Italian as well.





Also, a friend suggested we visit Mayerling. We already have quite a bit to do in our 5 days there (December 21-26), so not sure it is worth the time for our first visit to Vienna. Any thoughts?





Many thanks!



Pamela




|||





I would not visit Mayerling- a relatively time consuming trip.



The original hunting lodge was destroyed many years ago.



Your time is better spent in the city in my opinion.





For Italian food





Martinelli is very nice - the parent firm has several italian restaurants in Vienna





www.barbaro.at





Grotto Azzurrra a long time fixture for italian food





www.grotto-azzurra.at





Kervansaray - not far from Imperial Hotel is good for seafood- expensive.





Do and Co at Stephansplatz-- nice view good fish





www.doco.com





Akakiko - a chain of fish places - always seem busy but not for me.





The others above- I have visited often and find a good standard.




|||



Vertical, many thanks for your wonderful non-meat, italian and fish restaurants in Vienna! Now I don%26#39;t need to worry about my husband starving while I indulge in the delicious pastries (he%26#39;s a health nut and doesn%26#39;t eat sugar...such a shame!, although he has been known to enjoy a good hot chocolate in Belgium, so I%26#39;m sure he will enjoy that while in Vienna). I do recall having read about Do %26amp; Co....I really appreciate your expert suggestions. My husband is finalizing the flight arrangements as we speak, then I can contact the concierge for securing tickets, then we will be all set to go!





Cheers,





Pamela




|||







I forgot to mention that Do and Co. principal is the son of the founders of the Kervansaray.





Do and Co. well regarded for quality food and a rapidly growing business.



Their catering extends to Lufthansa First Class Lounges and even Emirates Airline Lounge at JFK New York.




|||



if you want to eat Vegetarian, Vegan or makrobiotic





I recommend art of life, easily reached with tram 1 and 2





art of life



Stubenring 14



-1010 Vienna





phone +43/(0)1/512 55 53



fax +43/(0)1/512 55 53-21



http://www.artoflife.at/





They are closed from 23rd onwards, so if you are interested please go there earier.





If you like croation food I can recommend. There seafood is really great. You can reach them with tram 46 from stop Dr. Karl Renner Ring (tram 1,2 U3) , exit at Strozzigasse and go 5-6 Mintues





Restaurant Konoba



Lerchenfelder Straße 66-68



1080 Wien,



http://www.konoba.at/




|||



Vertical,



Do and Co and Kevansaray sound like winners! Do Viennese eat full dinners at such places after evening cultural events? (I%26#39;m sure it%26#39;s a personal preference). While we tend to dine at 8 or 8:30pm here in New York,but eat early if going to the theater, ballet or opera. I%26quot;m not sure what time these musical events end in Vienna and by the time you get to the restaurant. and eat a big meal...it is quite late.





I have read about many suggestions for nearby places for light fare after an evening concert or opera, but don%26#39;t know if it really makes sense to have a huge meal so late at night at the better restaurants.





When we travel to foreign cities, we tend to either do one or the other ---have a leisurely nice dinner someplace special or go to a cultural event. My husband doesn%26#39;t like to start a long special dinner at 10pm, although we have done that in Sydney, Rome and Helsinki and it was fine. Our %26quot;challenge%26quot; in Vienna is that there are so many wonderful music venues (multiple choices every night!) that I%26#39;m concerned that we may not be able to give the restaurant opportunities adequate attention. Perhaps a good reason for a future visit.





Cheers,



Pamela




|||



HuSanNiang, Thank you so very much for the information on vegetarian restaurants in Vienna. We tend not to actually go to vegetarian restaurants, although it is always good to have the reference, just in case. The croation food suggestion sounds interesting since we love seafood. Croatia is high up on my list of places I want to visit. We%26#39;ve been waiting until they had land tours (in the beginning of tourism there, everything was cruises). I%26#39;ve just recently seen a new tour by a company we%26#39;ve used a number of times which is land only. Hopefully we%26#39;ll make it there soon. Have you been?





Thanks again for the restaurant suggestions,



Pamela




|||



I was in Croatia several years ago but it has changed soo much., so my impressions are not too helpful.





I have a couple of American training colleagues coming frequently to Vienna and this restaurant is always their first choice







. The next one is PARS which is just 5-6 Minutes away on the same street. It´s said to be the best Persian restaurant in Vienna and normally you need to reserve a table well in advance . They do have some vegetarian dishes , but the main focus is on meat http://www.pars.at/




|||



HuSanNiang, Great feedback on the popularity of the Croatian Restaurant Konoba....hopefully we will get to try it..so many things to do and see in 5 days! Speaking of Persia....Morocco, Egypt, Syria, Beirut, Jordan....all places I dream of being able to visit one day (my husband is less adventurous than I)




|||







Many in Vienna and elsewhere in Austria will have their major meal at midday.







I do not always live that way but find it is especially good when attending the theater or opera.





I usually then have a soup and perhaps a pastry in late afternoon- then a small meal after the evening.





Most concerts, operas, concerts finish about 10:00 in the evening- still time to eat.





My favorites- After the State Opera-





Cafe Sirk- just across the street from the Opera in back part of Hotel Bristol ( separate entrance)





Cafe Sacher- Sacher Hotel - just behind the Opera.





Restaurant Smutny - Elisabethstrasse one just beyond the Ring-





Musikverein





Kervansaray- a light fish dish





Volksoper-





Cafe Weimar- Wahringerstrasse- about 150 meters downhill from Volksoper- excelent food, soups,pastry, nice atmosphere including piano music. many performers visit here too.







Be certain to try austrian wine especially the whites.




|||



Vertical....another excellent suggestion about having our main meal mid-day if we%26#39;re going out for evening perfomances. That is what we will plan to do. A light something after the opera or concert will be perfect.





Which place in your opinion has the best Sacher Torte. (I%26#39;ve read not the Hotel Sacher, surprisingly.) Is the Imperial Torte at the Bristol chocolate? It seems to be highly recommended. Thank you as always. Cheers, Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment